Monday 23 February 2009

A victim of sexual abuse shares the experience

I felt this comment deserved to be flagged as a separate article . Thank you for sending your story.

"these are not things that just happened recently...these things have been happening in, like, as long as 10 yrs ago, bt was never realized in the society. I knw this cux I hav had the unfortunate experience of this .

i am from a family hu is, lets say, from the middle class of the society. i know that my parents luv their kids alot. my father restricts us to go any where without a family member, let alone go to friends houses even - brothers cud go given that their friends are good kids - us girls cud only bring our friends to our place, v cannot go to theirs unless he gives his full approval, which is not a lot. we ver also nt allowed to interact with the opposite sex b4 v finish school. i now realize that they did that to only protect us from harm.but even then, i had a experience of that thing -molesting or sexual abuse or watver name u call it...only that i never knew that tym it was this.

No one knows about this, i never had the guts to tel ne1, i think thats why these boys also never came out with it, they mite not be having the 'guts' to tell. u c, i thought i did the right thing by nt teling then, i became adjusted to those memories for a while, but now, it has come to haunt me again. by not telling ne1, i had byn hiding a terrible secret , which i had always blamed on me.. i always think that it if werent for me, this wud never have happened.

Today I am seeing a psychologist because of the ‘after effects of this’. She is the first ever person I related it to. .. and this is the second *:D*.I guess I had always hidden from reality… but reading your post and the above comments, I wanted to share my story becuase i just want u guys to know that this 'plague' is not just for poor families, even the most richest and the protected ones cud face this too.

But now wat wud happen to them, I was fornunate to know wat I was going through, but wud it happen to them too??? My prayers are with those boys, even though they will have to live their whole lives by it, I hope that they learn to deal with it and that their parents are with them the whole way…."

I also would like to welcome others who may wish to publish their experiences in this blog to mail them to me. I beleive these case vignettes will provide deep insights and expose the evil that may be going on behind the closed doors in our society.
Make this blog yours to create awareness about such social problems by sharing these experiences. Thanks

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I say Maldivian parents were conservative towards their parents 30 years ago? Is this thing started in the last three decades or did we not hear about child molest cases before? Has society changed?

Anonymous said...

society lost its social fabric caz of centralization. Male' is a gud case study for urban planers.

Unknown said...

with all the problems in life i had a situation like that........i also thot it wud b easy to live without telling but now it disturbs me ......deres no one in this society to listen...................