Wednesday 4 February 2009

A comment by Anonymous: The dream and determination of a mother for her son..here.. the sons speaks ...

Comment sent by Anonymous....Thankyou for sharing your story.

"My parents were divorced when I was 3 months old. My father left me on the road near my maternal grandparent's house and since that day neither myself nor my Mom receieved any assistance from him. I never spoke to my father until I was a teenager and I bellieve my Mom has never spoken to him since their separation.

This was 1986 and my mom was a young 22 year old lady with a 5th grade education (5th grade by 1980s standard). However, in order to support herself and her young son she had to find a job. She left to Male' to undertake a family healh worker's course.

Therefore, I grew up through the formulative years of my life without the love and affection of either of my parents. When my Mom came back home I was ready to go to school. The same year she came back home, one of her cousins returned to the Maldives with his PhD. When he came to visit us, my Mom told me that she wanted me to be like him. She told me she wanted Dr. in front of my name. That was her dream and she was prepared to do anything to realize her dream.

The next 7 seven years flew by and i was finishing up seventh grade. My mom wanted me to go to Male' to join Majeediyyaa school even though we had upto grade 10 in our island. She believed the quality of the schooling in the island was not good enough for her son to achieve her dream.But there was one small problem. Family health workers did not get paid much. I remember when her salary was MRF1130 (US$88) per month. There was no way she could have afforded to send me to Male' but she somehow found a way.

She supported me for 5 years of schooling in Male'; 3 in Majeediyyaa and 2 in CHSE. She paid MRF1000 every month to the house I was staying at and she gave me a monthly stipend of MRF500. Her monthly salary had risen to MRF1410 by then but that didnt leave her anything after spending on me. Later I found out that she went without buying anything for herself. She practically wore the same clothes she already had during that 5 years. That is the determination of a mother to keep her dream alive.

Right now I am an undergraduate environmental engineering student in the United States. I am very happy for my mom that I am on my way to make her dream come true. You dont have to be born to an elite family or be a son of a resort owner or a family member of people in power to have a dream. And it takes only determination to realize your dream".
04 February 2009 15:41

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for sharing this story. You brought tears to my eyes...I am very happy for you and really proud of your mother. It reminded me of the sacrifices of my own parents....their struggles....to make us...what we are today.
I think your story will motivate many young people, your mothers courage need to be told to young mothers and fathers.
I felt your comment needed highlighting and become just more than a tag at the end of my article..
I hope ...you achieve yours and your mothers dreams in the years to come.
Once again, thankyou and also thanks to all those who are sharing their stories ....here .

Anonymous said...

a standing applaud to your brave mother and to you, best of luck to you in future. Anything is possible if you dream big and make an effort!

Unknown said...

I salute for u and specially for ur mother..

Wish i see this four years back..this is a inspiration...a courage and a hope...

cheeers to the son and mother...and naaz thank u so much for this...

May god bless her..and may her dreams can be full filled soon..

Anonymous said...

Wow. Your mother is a brave person! Best of luck with your studies. Hope you go onto get the Dr. and that your mother lives to see the day.

Anonymous said...

Wow wow, that sounds more like a fairy tale.

I salute the courageous mother.

I wish the youth of our community is purposive like you.

Good luck, and make your mother proud!

swyt butterfly said...

a goood lesson for all the parents and to all of us...
all the parets have dreams for their daughters and sons..but these dreams cum true in few cases..
your mom is soo brave..and u r so obedient and good that u realized your mothers sacrifices for you...
may Allah bless you...
study well..

Anonymous said...

Its been a while since I've come across a blog which is well... inspirational. This is one.
That was a very moving piece... And its rare to find a youth who truly appreciates their parents this day. Lots of other parents too have worked hard... had big dreams for their children... but its indeed rare to see someone who realizes it. All the best in gettin that Dr. ... cheers :)

The Shadowrunner said...

You keep chuggin' on!.

Good luck - you're bound to hit some magic good while you're at it, eh?.

Anonymous said...

hey naaz, y r not puttin up my comments?

Anonymous said...

If I think putting up a comment could hurt, harm or cause psycholgical injury to a person or persons reputation,or use of foul language, I am unable to publish that comment as a general policy..I will read your comment again.If I have missed it for some other reason I am sorry, I will publish it.But, I want to say to all readers whose comments i absolutely love....try and not use names of people , or foul derogatory , abusive,accusing language...but say everything you want to say..keeping this in mind...so that I can allow the readers to enjoy the comment without those bits!.
After all freedom of expression cannot be freedom to abuse dho.
But, I may have just missed your comment .will check.

Anonymous said...

checked, its published under the comments of the previous article...thanks

DarkCasanova said...

yea this is soo true...with detemination we can do anythin...kwl story..and good luck.. :D

nymphs said...

Wow!!!
What an ispiration. What a courageous mom i.e, almost all moms are like that. And how we tend to overlook their courage, thier assistance. We are what we are to day because of them. Now try hard & get dat Dr letters in front of your name. A good lesson for all of us. I'm soo touched you brave brave person. Dont let anything get into your way. ill take my hat off to you. Cheers

Anonymous said...

hi,

ur life sort of reminds me of my life...the difference is:

1. i am someone's daughter

2. my dad divorced my mom when i was 3

3. at that time i had 3 other siblings twins of 2yrs and my youngest bro 3 months

4. my mom wasnt educated even upto grade 5 standard

5. there were times my dad did spend on me, BUT he did it for his own good. i always had to give him SOMETHING in return!

today am a married woman with a degree in my hand...working as a senior staff in my office.

even today i hesitate to answer my phone if its my dad calling...i start thinking...what might he want now???

Anonymous said...

If only I could tell about my story.
But...aah!